Social Emotional Support-The Power of 'I AM'


I wanted to share something personal that I hope will help some of you. This past summer was extremely difficult for me professionally and personally. The deans and I spent the entire summer preparing and planning for the upcoming school year. We would meet for 8 or more hours every day and as soon as we finished a meeting feeling like we made “some” progress, we would receive communication that would change everything that we just did. Can any of you relate? 😊

This didn’t just happen once or twice, but multiple times throughout the summer. It led me to constantly feel frustrated, overwhelmed, and disheartened. I would go home and tell Jason, “I am so overwhelmed because…” or “I am frustrated because….” Since I was so consumed with my negative emotions, it made being a wife and mother difficult. I KNOW the importance of sharing how you truly feel and not suppressing emotions. You all know I believe in being transparent and honest about how I feel (good, bad, and ugly), but I also believe there should be a balance, so we don’t magnify the negative.

Reading the article below helped me to process my range of emotions and find balance when dealing with difficult situations which helped me to become a better mother and wife. The article captures a conversation between Oprah and Pastor Joel Osteen that speaks about the principal of ‘I AM.’ It states that whatever follows the sentence starter, “I am,” will be invited into your life. I love how he states, “It feels like when you understand that whatever follows “I am” is going to eventually find you…” This principle makes me more intentional about finding the good in any situation. This does not mean my positivity is toxic.  It’s my positivity that is keeping me from becoming toxic as I continue to manage and oversee all the change that we are experiencing this school year. 

Please note that although this conversation mentions God, my desire in sharing this is not connected to religion, instead I hope it inspires or helps someone with the message of I AM.

You can watch the entire 30 minute interview by clicking on the YouTube video at the top of this post, but the first four minutes of the conversation are scribed in the document below with my highlighted notes. 


The Power of I AM by embryjd on Scribd





No comments:

Post a Comment